Skip Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Transcripts and certificates

What is a Transcript?

A transcript is a summary of your academic performance and progress to date. It will include a list of the papers you have taken in your University examinations, with the individual mark for each paper. A transcript may be needed for verification purposes by prospective employers or by other educational institutions to which you are applying.

How Can I Get a Transcript?

The process to receive your transcript will depend on the date that you started your course. Below is a summary of the two processes.

Please note that if you require a transcript for the BMBCh course (regardless of matriculation year), you should request your transcript from the Medical Sciences Office by emailing

If you commenced your studies on, or after, Michaelmas Term 2007

Your transcripts will be produced by the University Examination and Assessments office (

You will automatically receive one copy of your final transcript from the University Examination and Assessments office when you complete your degree. This will be sent to the ‘home address’ listed in your Student Self-Service account.  Additional copies can be ordered – contact details can be found on the web site given above. If you are still on course but require a transcript showing marks achieved to date, you can order this from the University Examination and Assessments office.

If you are a postgraduate research student, or if you are unable to obtain a transcript from the Examination and Assessments office for some other reason, please contact the Academic Office (details below).

If you commenced your studies before Michaelmas Term 2007

Please contact the Academic Office who can produce a transcript for you.

If you matriculated prior to 2003, please allow two weeks’ notice for us to send you your transcript.

Tel: 01865 276544

When requesting a transcript please include the following information:

  1. Full name as it was during your time at Oriel
  2. Matriculation date
  3. Course title
  4. Address (postal and/or email) to which the transcripts should be sent
  5. The number of hard copies you require, if any.

N.B. If you took your exams prior to the year 2000, the marks for your individual papers may not be available.


Enrolment Certificates

You can print an enrolment certificate from the Student Self-Service section of the University website. If you intend to use this certificate for Council Tax Exemption purposes (for properties within Oxford only), you may need to get it stamped by the Academic Office (unless you are planning to go to the Council Offices in person – in which case make sure you take your Bod Card).

If you require proof of enrolment for a funding body etc., and the printable enrolment certificate is not sufficient, please come to the Academic Office on Staircase 5 and we’ll see what we can do!  Also please contact us if you are seeking Council Tax Exemption for a property outside Oxford, as we will need to produce a slightly different certificate for you.

Bank Letters

Most banks accept stamped enrolment certificates (see above) as proof of student status, which you will need in order to open a student bank account. Some, however, require special ‘bank letters’ in bank-friendly template. If you find that your bank requires one of these, please email or pop into the Academic Office on Staircase 5.

Degree Certificates

Once you have attended a graduation ceremony you will automatically receive a degree certificate from the University Degree Conferrals department.  If you lose or damage your certificate, you can order a replacement.  Details can be found on the Degree Conferrals website.  If you have passed your examinations and have not had your degree conferred at a degree ceremony, or if you have attended a ceremony but require proof of your award to present to a third party, you can request a Degree Confirmation letter free of charge from the Degree Conferrals office.

further information

Our events

Alumni news

Alumni publications